Skip To Content
Story of our School

THE SCHOOL

École secondaire Saint-Laurent - Saint Lawrence High School was established in 1950, in the City of Cornwall, to meet a growing student population as well as respond to French-speaking students’ needs. École secondaire Saint-Laurent - Saint Lawrence High was one of the first secondary schools in this province to offer curriculum where French as well as English was the language of instruction in both academic and Business and Commerce subjects.

With the closure of three private bilingual educational institutions in the city in the late '60s, the newly created Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry County Board of Education, inherited an accommodation problem at École secondaire Saint-Laurent - Saint Lawrence High School.

In order to alleviate overcrowding, on January 12, 1972 the Board approved a request to the Ministry that a fourth high school be built in the City of Cornwall.

Pending the completion of construction of the new school, a shift system, introduced as early as September 1970, was maintained wherein École secondaire Saint-Laurent - Saint Lawrence High School operated as the future French Language secondary school, La Citadelle.

On April 17, 1973, the Board approved the transfer of École secondaire Saint-Laurent - Saint Lawrence High School to the site of the present school and continued operation of La Citadelle at the former site.

Despite  numerous  transformations, Saint  Lawrence continues to foster an environment of academic excellence and maintains the good spirits and valuable traditions established by the original school in 1950.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.